Google introduced some vital coverage adjustments for app metadata and new tips for creatives. These updates involved “steerage to enhance your app high quality and discovery on Google Play”.
- The assorted adjustments have been made to Google Play’s metadata coverage
- Why you need to replace your app metadata in accordance with the adjustments
- The right way to shorten your app identify from 50 to 30 characters with out shedding key phrase rankings
- The impression of those adjustments on App Retailer Optimization (ASO)
Table of Contents:
- Impact of Google Play policy
- app promotion through keyword installs
- keyword install services
- buy app ratings
Abstract of adjustments to Google Play’s metadata coverage
Currently, each the App Retailer and Play Retailer have acquired a lot consideration and scrutiny for numerous practices, together with payment assortment or rip-off apps with excessive subscription prices. Google’s newest coverage adjustments seemingly replicate its intention to wash up the Play Retailer and permit higher-quality apps and video games to shine. The updates can also present Google’s makes an attempt to limit the frequency of black hat ASO practices, together with false promoting or including an unattributed ‘5-star’ overview to screenshots.
In abstract, the adjustments made to Google Play’s metadata insurance policies embody:
- App titles have to be 30 characters or much less.
- No deceptive symbols in app icons (e.g., obtain/set up symbols when the app will not be associated to downloading content material).
- No emojis, emoticons, or repeated particular characters within the app title, icon, or developer identify.
- No deceptive, irrelevant, or inappropriate metadata (description, developer identify, title, icon, screenshots, promotional pictures, and so forth).
- Builders should present a transparent and well-written app description.
- No unattributed or nameless person testimonials within the app description.
- Keep away from writing in all caps except it’s a part of your model identify.
Probably the most vital adjustments made to the Play Retailer metadata insurance policies involved the shortening of the app identify. Up till now, app builders may reap the benefits of extra space within the app title on Google Play (50 characters) in comparison with the App Retailer (30 characters). This additional house offered builders with extra flexibility and ample alternative to focus on high-volume key phrases on the Play Retailer. Nonetheless, as of September 2021, Google now requires app names to be shortened to solely 30 characters.
Why must you change your Google Play app metadata?
With these coverage updates enforced on the Play Retailer from September 29, 2021, you need to be sure you modify your app metadata as quickly as potential to remain on the fitting aspect of the shop. Lately, apps going towards the rules have acquired alerts concerning the coverage adjustments on the Google Play Console. For instance, some builders have been warned they danger shedding promotional alternatives for editorial featurings all through the shop. Moreover, app builders have reported Google flagging their apps after attempting so as to add prohibited key phrases; different apps incorporating forbidden phrases have seen app publications or updates rejected by the Console.
The right way to shorten your app identify on the Play Retailer
Probably the most troublesome query we see come up from Google’s coverage adjustments is: how do you shorten your app title from 50 to solely 30 characters with out shedding key phrase rankings? To assist our shoppers make an knowledgeable resolution round their app title, we created this step-by-step information utilizing an audit for the app Lyft on the US Google Play Retailer. Right here’s a recap of the steps you need to observe:
- Analyze the efficiency of the key phrases focused in your present app identify. Do you discover any underperforming key phrases which you could take away?
- Take a look at your opponents’ app names. Attempt to estimate which key phrases they’ll take away and you might discover new alternatives to extend your app’s visibility!
- Refresh your semantic dictionary with new key phrases.
- Consider each key phrase’s quantity and likelihood scores, common rating, obtain estimates, and variety of potential key phrase mixtures.
- Put together a brand new app identify that describes your app’s options and functionalities effectively.
With the updates efficient on Google Play from September 29, “app title[s], icon[s] and developer identify[s] that don’t meet the upcoming insurance policies is not going to be allowed on Google Play.” Extra adjustments embody:
The prohibition of key phrases that indicate an app’s retailer efficiency (resembling “high”, “greatest”, or “#1”) within the title, icon, and developer identify.
Key phrases that encourage customers to take motion, resembling “replace now” within the icon or “obtain now” within the app identify, are additionally prohibited. Consequently, you shouldn’t use textual content to incentivize installs or promote offers within the app icon or title. Emojis/emoticons, repeated punctuation, or all caps are further examples of don’ts that would result in your app being rejected.
Google additionally introduced new tips for characteristic graphics, screenshots, and movies. All retailer itemizing preview property must showcase the app’s options and performance so customers can anticipate what the app or recreation expertise might be like. Additionally keep away from including any calls-to-action like “obtain now,” “set up now,” “play now,” or “strive now”, and keep away from time-sensitive taglines or captions that may shortly develop into outdated.
Affect of Google Play coverage replace on App Retailer Optimization
Your ASO technique will predominantly be affected by the adjustments to app title size and key phrase restrictions. We anticipate to watch the next impacts in your App Retailer Optimization:
- The diminished house obtainable for key phrases within the app title will push builders to decide on solely probably the most related and precious key phrases for his or her app(s). With a 30-character restrict, Android builders may also run much less danger of getting key phrases of their app identify reduce off in search outcomes.
- Different future front-end or back-end adjustments might come into play, such because the elevated use of Google tags, new methods of that includes apps/video games on the shop, and so forth.
- The title change will significantly have an effect on apps in languages that usually require extra character house, resembling French, German, or Arabic. Then again, it is going to have an effect on localization efforts in Japanese, Chinese language, or Korean barely much less.
- With phrases like “free”, “high”, “greatest”, and “#1” now not accepted, ideally, all apps and video games might be mechanically listed for these key phrases and together with them within the retailer itemizing is not going to characterize an additional benefit. Once more, this encourages using extra related key phrases in app metadata over phrases meant to play the algorithm for higher rankings.
- The prohibition of emojis, all caps, and repeated punctuation will make it harder for apps to face out from the competitors within the search outcomes. Consequently, the key phrases carried out in app metadata will develop into much more of a strategic resolution than earlier than.